Patrick's Postings

Saturday, October 29, 2005

For Whom the Bell Tolls...

The backpackers lodge I am staying at is right next to the Christ Church Cathedral, and I believe that my bed is closer to the bell tower than any other bed in the area. Attempts to sleep in this morning were futile.

I spent my day walking around Cathedral Square (with the Christ Church Cathedral squarely not in the middle), which is only about 1/2 of a city block. So I saw everything, and I saw it often. I watched several chess games being played on a roughly 30ft X 30ft chess board, with the pieces standing close to 3 feet tall. It changes the game completely when you see the players walking among the pieces, especially when they make their most confident moves. This usually entailed them kicking the piece instead of picking it up. Riveting.

And it is cold. Not too cold though, only around 60 deg F. I guess that I became a little acclimated to the heat of the Australian Outback. But there are no flies; I'll take that trade any day.

I confirmed my bike tour today and found out that the 10 day trip will consist of 2 guides and 2 riders (including myself). I was banking on a large group so that I could stay out of last place (even though it is not a race, pride does play a factor in these things). Hopefully I'll do Eddy Merckx, Miguel Indurain and Lance Armstrong proud and wear the yellow jersey home. I'll settle for the polka dot jersey, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home