Patrick's Postings

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Across into South Africa

The end of the 9 week trip is in sight. After going quad biking in Swakopmund for the second time and visiting Fish River Canyon, we crossed into South Africa yesterday. Today we came within sight of Table Mountain in Cape Town before we turned off to Stellenbosch. Tomorrow we go off on a wine tasting tour, visiting 5 wineries and sure to drink way too much wine. It should be fun, but I hope that the day isn't spent with people telling me that I should be able to taste the nutty overtone or expecting that I should be able to differentiate how the wine is casked by swishing the wine around my mouth. I only want someone to say "This is what good wine tastes like" or "This is vinegar." There isn't too much grey area for me when it comes to wines, and I wouldn't know a bad wine if you handed me one.

I am sad that the 9 week trip is ending. The other passengers, the guide and the driver have been fun to travel with. The big thing that I am not looking forward to is being on my own and having to plan more than 3 hours in advance. I have 9 days in Cape Town following the end of the trip, and I have a few things that I need to do: visit Robben Island (where Nelson Mandela was held for 27 years), ascend (in some form) Table Mountain and go snorkelling with the great white sharks. It should be a great way to spend my last few days in Africa before heading to England, Scotland and Ireland.

1 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger John Harkins said...

You should visit a township if possible. I found that to be a nice reminder that there is still a lot of work to be done in S. Africa and not everything is as nice as the Waterfront.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home