Patrick's Postings

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Zanzibar

I am currently sitting in Stone Town, Zanzibar, after spending the last few days staying in a bungalow on the beach near Nungwi. It was the perfect place, with great weather, clear water and wonderful beaches (I have heard that it is very cold back home, so I spent some time in the hot sun for everyone). While on Zanzibar, I snorkelled, went on a tour of a spice plantation (it did smell very nice there, I must admit) and rode on a dhow for a sunset cruise. But best of all, I spent time off of the safari truck and slept in a real bed in a real room. The bungalows were right on the beach and were very nice, especially when you factor in that they only cost $15 a night (try going to Hawaii, which is similar to Zanzibar, for 5 days and only spending $65 on rooms and less on food and entertainment: a tropical vacation for less than $200, but do you have to get there first). Stone Town is a great little town, and may be one of my favorite spots to which I have ever been (right up there with Kinsale, Ireland and Queenstown, New Zealand). I head back to Dar es Salaam tomorrow, perhaps the most humid and hot place I have ever been, before heading for Malawi over the next few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home