Patrick's Postings

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Back in Delhi

The train trip through Rajasthan is over and I am back in Delhi. The experience on the Palace on Wheels trip was great. In the span of seven days, we travelled from Delhi to Jaipur, Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Sawai Madhopur, Chitturgah, Bhatapur and Agra. We visited numerous palaces and forts, beautiful gardens and ate at some of the finest hotels in the region. Aishwarya Rai was staying at one of the hotels we ate at, although I didn't see her (it wasn't for lack of trying, though). The train itself was OK. The food on board was good by my standards (and my standards for Indian food are not that high) and the rooms were small but adequate. The hardest part was sleeping on the train. The train would travel at night and made frequent stops to take on water and supplies, and some of the stops were not so subtle. I would often wake up to find that I had slid a foot or two down the bed. All in all, the trip was an excellent way to see all of the major sights in a short amount of time.

On the final day we visited Agra, home of the Red Fort and the Taj Mahal. These are two of the most impressive structures I have ever seen. The Red Fort is a magnificent fort constructed out of red sandstone. The carving of the stone is excellent and the fort and its palaces are stunning in their craftsmanship.

Not far from the Red Fort is the Taj Mahal. Going into the visit to the Taj Mahal, I wasn't sure what to expect. It has been referred to as one of the Wonders of the World and the hype that surrounds it incredible. I prepared myself to say "That's it?" and to be disappointed. I was wrong to do so. The Taj Mahal is more beautiful, more elaborate and more awe inspiring than I could have ever imagined. It is far and away the most impressive structure I have ever seen, and I found myself unable to take my eyes off of it while I was there. From afar, it looks like it is painted on the horizon. As you get closer, it gets more incredible as the fine detail and the grand size of the buildings of the complex become apparent. The intricately carved designs, with the vibrant color and fine detail of the precious stones inlaid into the massive blocks of marble are perfect; if a mistake was made the entire block was scrapped. That the entrire complex has perfect symmetry (the only break from symmetry is inside, where one casket is in the center and the other off to the side). It has earned its reputation.

I will be spending the next few days in Delhi before heading to Corbett National Park for a few days. I hope to spot wild tigers and elephants, among other species, before returning to Delhi to catch my flight to Nairobi in the middle of next week.

I'll post pictures from India next week.

1 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home