Patrick's Postings

Saturday, January 28, 2006

In Kenya, finally

I have made my way to Nairobi from Delhi, which was a little tougher than expected. My flight out of Delhi was delayed by 9 hours, which resulted in my running through the airport in Dubai at 2:15 AM to catch a 2:35 AM flight. Somehow, both my bag and I made it to Nairobi OK.

I haven't gone too crazy exploring Nairobi yet, but I have enjoyed what I have seen so far. After coming from Delhi, though, almost anywhere else you go would seem clean and uncongested, and for that matter modern.

I meet up with the tour group that I will be with for the next 9 weeks tonight. I am ready to get the trip started. The more I read the plan of events, the more excited I have gotten. The first two weeks entail exploring Kenya's national parks and going to Uganda to see gorillas in the wild. The best part of the trip is the many options that will be available. Many days you have the option of some interesting trips (rafting on the Nile, walking through the savannah with lions raised in captivity, a wine tour in South Africa) or visiting the local villages (helping out at the schools and visiting hospitals). I will be in Zanzibar for 4 days, on a house boat in Zambia for 3 days, spending three days on an island in the Ockavango Delta and visiting Victoria Falls. Through in all of the wildlife (I should be able to see the big 5), and it will be a great experience.

I will try to post once a week, when possible. I don't expect that I'll be able to post pictures too easily, though. In Nairobi, one of the more advanced stops, the internet speeds have been very slow to download even word documents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home