Patrick's Postings

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Fes

The truck has made its way from Marbella, Spain to Gibralter and then into Morocco over the last week. The group seems like a good bunch of people and I think we are going to have a great time together for the trip, so that's a good thing.

Yesterday we went on a walking tour of the medina in Old Fes. The medina dates back to the 9th century and is a labyrinth of 9600 tight lanes. The lanes are lined with shops selling everything from silver trays to donuts (2 for a nickel) to sheeps heads. The activity is amazing, and the fact that the people who live there don't get lost is amazing. During the course of the day we visited the largest traditional tannery in Africa, an herbal pharmacy and a Berber carpet and blanket maker. During our stay at the carpet store, I picked up my new nickname on the truck: Ali Baba, or Ali B. for short. I was then told by one of the salesmen that 2 wives would be too few for me, that I will need many and that each will need there own blanket. I bought one and was on my way.

Last night we went out for a traditional Morrocan meal and show. The food was great, and the show had its moments. I was volunteered by my group to get dressed up in traditional Morroccan wedding garments and then I was married to 2 women from another group. There are plenty of pictures of the event, but they will never be seen in the states. Sorry.

Tomorrow we head off and go to Rabat via the Roman ruins at Volubilis.

1 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pat,

We want the pictures...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home