Patrick's Postings

Friday, April 07, 2006

Relaxing in Cape Town

The time in Cape Town is really flying by. I have done a lot, but I still have a lot of things to do in the next few days before I fly out on Monday. The highlights so far:
  • We went to a concert at Kirstenbosch Gardens, located in the shadows of Table Mountain. The band was Flat Stanley, they sounded like Creed and have just been on tour with Metallica and Collective Soul. It was a good show, with good music and a great setting.
  • I went up to the top of Table Mountain in the cable car, which covers the ascent to 1000+ meters rather quickly. The floor of the round cars rotate, allowing each of the 40 people on board the opportunity to see the great sights. On the top of the mountain, the vistas of the Cape of Good Hope and Cape Town were amazing, although it was very windy. I thought I was over my fear of heights after the microlight experience over Vic Falls, but it returned with a vengeance on the way down in the cable car. The first part of the descent is straight down and very fast. I was terrified and mumbling incoherently for several minutes. The people I was with had a good laugh, though.
  • Yesterday I went shark cage diving in Gansbaai to see the great white sharks. Within 10 minutes of our boat setting anchor and starting to chum a great white paid us a visit. I spent some time in the cage, which was amazing to see these huge sharks within feet or inches of where you are. My only fear was that at times I noticed that my feet were sticking outside of the cage and might entice the sharks to take a bite. We saw a dozen or so sharks, ranging in size from 6 feet to 18+ feet long, including a smaller shark try to take a seagull off of the surface of the water (it looked as if its tail feathers were in the sharks mouth as it flew away). It was another amazing experience to add to the list of amazing experiences that I have had in the last few months.

I still have to visit Robben Island and go on a tour of one of the local townships, but I should have plenty of time for those activities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home